Before 8AM, be absolutely sure to…
- Sleep one hour
- Sleep another hour
- Sleep a third hour
- Keep sleeping, this time for an hour
- Sleep for 60 consecutive minutes
- Sleep for one last hour
- If time permits, drink a glass of water
A few things to do AFTER 8AM
- Consider measuring success by how good you feel, not by how well you measure up to some imaginary ideal in your head.
- Tune out the MOREBETTERDIFFERENT-noise telling you that in order to be happy or fully actualized you need to be more like Elon Musk or Steve Jobs or that insane guy who runs ultramarathons through Death Valley. Appreciate something about you just the way it is.
- Eat your lunch. But really eat it. Don’t do anything else while tranquilly and slowly enjoying your lunch.
- Take a nap.
- Love somebody. Make sure it is yourself.
- Love at least one other person.
- Go to bed early. Preferably with someone you love next to you.
If you find success and productivity tipsterism occasionally useful, then have at it. But you don’t have to work so hard to make yourself happen. Just as you are breathing without thinking about it, you are awesome without having to try. I recommend doing more of the things that bring you joy, because that is the surest path to fulfilling your ultimate purpose.